Welcome fellow attendees from the Metropolis Canada Conference in Ottawa!
Thank you for your interest in GEO Nova Scotia and the work we do to transform lives through digital inclusion…
Who are we?
GEO Nova Scotia: Getting Everyone Online
- Started as a community project in March 2020
- Four regional pilots began in March 2021
- Incorporated as an official nonprofit in March 2022
What do we do?
- GEO Nova Scotia works with a wide variety of partners in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors across the province, dedicated to ensuring everyone has what they need for digital inclusion;
- Internet access so everyone has affordable internet access.
- Device access so everyone can have an affordable device.
- Digital skills so everyone can be confident and safe online.
- Improved well-being and better health outcomes.
- Enhanced educational and employment opportunities.
- Better access to helpful programs and services.
- Increased social connections/ reduced isolation.
- Greater equity and a more engaged citizenship.
NEW: Digital Champions for Newcomers!
Beginning in 2023, we will be working with partners across Canada in the settlement sector to develop and distribute free Digital Champions programming and resources to people and organizations who serve and support newcomers.
What can this mean for newcomer-serving organizations, staff, and volunteers?
- Unlimited free training/ professional development to become Digital Champions with ongoing support.
- Greater ability to serve and support clients and their personal goals.
- Easy access to a curated collection of digital resources and tools.
What can this mean for newcomers?
- Improved digital skills and confidence.
- Better access to programs and services.
- Greater access to language and skills development.
- Staying in touch with family and friends abroad.
- And all the benefits of being safe and confident online!
“While our participants were connected to GEO [to] provide internet service to recently settled families with school-aged children, the families had the added advantage of using online programs to prepare themselves for Canadian citizenship. They have also been able to attend online Citizenship Ceremonies for others in their community.”
– Settlement Coordinator
“It has made a very positive improvement in my life. Previously I had to find free wifi spots and then sometimes the service wasn’t available or too many people were using at the same time and there wasn’t any privacy. Now from the comfort of home I can use the net freely for job searches and emails.”
– GEO Connects Participant